St Paul's Church was built in 1827/28 in yellow brick; the site for the building on Church Hill was donated by Walker Gray of Grovelands. The poet Thomas Hood lived here for some years. The church partly burnt down in 1844 but was repaired. . A garden area in front of the church is grassed with flower beds and some mature trees. Opposite the church and in front of the houses the other side of Church Hill is a strip of green in the middle of the road with trees. Nearby, a little further down Church Hill, are three early 19th century weather-boarded cottages, Woodside Cottages, the central one of which was the village school house.