The site of Bostall Gardens was acquired by the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich in 1938. A thatched barn on the site was demolished around the time of World War II and it was decided to develop the area as a public garden. These were laid out and officially opened by the Mayor on 26 April 1952. The responsibility for the park was taken over by London Borough of Greenwich. Today the small park incorporates tennis courts and bowling green as well as ornamental planting. The park became run down and in 2001 a group of local residents formed Friends of Bostall Gardens, working with Greenwich Council to renovate the gardens and built structures, the bowling green pavilion having been vandalised, and the Bowls Club relocated. Funding has been raised from organisations such as the Onyx Trust which awards grants for environmental projects.