Eaglesfield Park, which had been a popular place to vissit for years, was bought by Woolwich Council with 50% grant from LCC in 1907 and opened in 1908. The playground was upgraded in 1997 with funding from the London Marathon Trust. The park is in two parts, divided by Eaglesfield Road; the eastern part is more informal grassed area with trees mainly on east edge. Western part landscaped with magnificent views to east as far as River Medway on a clear day. The name of the park derives from the coat of arms of John Lidgbird, Sheriff of Kent in 1741, which had two large eagles.