Woolwich Common originally covered a wide area, stretching to Charlton Common in the west. Now only part of it is open to the public. The army started to use the space from the 18th century onwards, and in 1802, the Board of Ordnance bought the land. The Royal Regiment of Artillery moved from their crowded barracks at the Royal Arsenal to new barracks on Woolwich Common. During the 19th and 20th centuries, many more buildings were put up, and the area is now surrounded with houses and army buildings including the Rotunda. There are also several memorials and a museum. The area north of Ha-Ha Road is still used only by the army and is closed to the public, but the area south of the road is open commonland with unmown grass to attract flowers and butterflies.