Although owned and maintained by the Borough of Lambeth, part of the common is within the Borough of Wandsworth. Clapham Common was formerly two commons belonging to the neighbouring parishes.After 1866 the Metropolitan Board of Works took responsibility for a number of commons including that at Clapham which it purchased in 1877. The Committee decided in December 1877 to provide various facilities including a portion for horse riding to be defined 'by trees and short lengths of fencing' with ditches filled in and other works at an estimated cost of £400; a stand for animals to be formed near the Rookery. Bathing in the ponds between 8pm and 7am was prohibited at that time except in Mount Pond; and permission was given for the erection of tents 'for the purposes of shelter or refreshment' by those playing using the common for 'lawful games' such as cricket, football, and golf. Other designed elements include Mount Pond which survives from the 18th century, a riding avenue of 1877, various ponds originally derived from former gravel pits and later used as cattle and cart ponds.