The land here was once part of Wandsworth Common. It was built over for housing in the 19th century. When St Anne's Church was built in 1820-24 as a new parish church it stood in a prominent position at the edge of the new suburbs. St Anne's was designed in Greek Revival style. Before the imposing west front of the church, is a circular grass plot surrounded by roadway leading from the entrance on St Anne's Hill.