St Nicholas Church was built in 1833. . It replaced the earlier parish church of Tooting, and is situated in a prominent position in what was called Lower Tooting or Tooting Graveney, so-called after the Gravenel family who owned the Manor in the 12th century and 13th century, to distinguish it from Upper Tooting. Upper Tooting was also called Tooting Bec, due to its being owned by the Abbey of Bec at the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, and it was within the manor of Streatham. Until the late 19th century Upper and Lower Tooting were separated by open land. The church has monuments dating back to the 16th century from the previous church.